September 1st is Protect Your Groundwater Day! Water is one of the most important substances on earth. Every living organism needs water to survive. So, it makes sense that we would want to protect our water systems! Protect Your Groundwater Day was established to highlight the responsibility we have to protect our groundwater through conservation and keep it safe from contamination.
Groundwater facts and figures
Surprisingly, 99% of the usable fresh water on earth is groundwater. Most surface water bodies are connected to groundwater. Many public water systems draw from groundwater. Our agriculture and households depend on clean water.
Water contamination can occur naturally by microorganisms, radionuclides and heavy metals. It is important that drinking water is treated first. But, there are many ways that human activities cause groundwater contamination. Littering, improper disposal, and using water softeners are some of the ways humans contaminate groundwater.
How can you protect your groundwater?
Let’s take a look at a few ways that we can help protect and conserve our groundwater every single day of the year …
- Conservation- Fix the drips. Don’t let water run. Water the lawn wisely. Wash smarter. These are all ways that we can help with water conservation.
- Littering – Don’t be a litterbug. Help pick up litter in your neighborhood.
- Chemicals– Reduce the use of harmful chemicals like pesticides and fertilizers that eventually end up in our water. Lemon juice, baking soda and vinegar are environmentally friendly alternatives to cleaning with chemicals.
- Waste- Properly dispose of toxic substances so they do not end up in our water systems.
- Native Plants– Go native in your landscape. Use plants that don’t need much water or fertilizer. For your lawn, choose grass varieties adapted to your region, reducing the need for excess watering or chemicals.
- Salinity– High levels of salt dumped from water softeners can limit groundwater use and have a negative effect on the ecosystem and agriculture depending on groundwater. Consider ways to eliminate salt contamination.
The Salt Miner protects your groundwater, too
We are doing our part to eliminate salt pollution of groundwater sources. We have developed an add-on that can fit any water softener. It collects the salt generated from the softener and prevents it from entering our wastewater! It is low cost, easy to install, and may be one of the simplest ways you can make a difference!
Protect Your Groundwater Day is the perfect time to contact the Salt Miner with any questions you may have. We will be happy to help educate you on groundwater contamination and we hope we can work together to make a change for cleaner water!